Old State Maps of New Hampshire
1761 "Blanchard & Langdon"
Map - Paper Edition 1761 map Paper Edition -
Close Up Excerpt
These excerpts from the Paper Edition of the 1761 map show the Vermont-New
Hampshire border area. We provide a matching modern map on each page to help
you understand the old map. The Connecticut River is the curved north-south line
in the middle of each map. Note that in 1761 there was very little
settlement in Vermont. Many towns here have their original town names. Thomlinson in Vermont is now Grafton. Newton, New Hampshire is now known as
Alstead. No. 6 and No. 7 (just above Mt. Monadnock) are now Nelson and
At the top left is the entry "This way Captives have been carried by the
Indians". Just above that line is the beginning of the Crown Point
Military Road, built in 1759 (the 1757 manuscript map on the
CDROM does not show this road) to connect Fort No. 4 (see map) with
Lake Champlain. Fort Dummer in Brattleboro is also seen on this map.